How To Create A Toxin-Free Home
Most people have sensitivity or allergies to chemicals. Many of these substances are harmful to our bodies and are all over our homes. Polyurethane is used as a finish on floors, substances used in paint, wallpaper glue, rugs, mattresses and upholstery all have the ability to be toxic.
One of the most common places toxins can be found in homes is in your cleaning supplies. Even the water used in your shower has probably received a chlorine treatment and can result in respiratory problems. Although avoiding all toxic chemicals is incredibly difficult you can reduce your families exposure. This becomes critical if any of your children suffer from severe allergies or asthma.
One company in particular designs their products with the health of your family as their top priority. SISEL International manufactures a line of products that are safe and gentle. They do not contain any ingredients that are harmful. SISEL refuses to use any ingredients that are potentially harmful or controversial.
Sisel has an important mission. They will only use the highest standards of ingredients available. You can be certain their products are safe, non-toxic and effective. These ingredients will help keep your family happy, healthy and safe. Every single formula created by Sisel is designed to give you peace of mind and even their containers are BPA and phthalates-free.
The best way to start converting your home into a safe place for your family is by reading labels. Sisel International calls this a Sisel Safe home. First write a list of any ingredients you find that are potentially harmful. Prioritize your list with the highest risk ingredients at the top. Look at Sisel's ingredients for the same products. You will quickly determine the potentially harmful ingredients are missing from Sisel's products and once you switch to these products they will be missing from your home as well.
The Sisel Safe seal is incredibly important. It means only the safest, purest and most effective ingredients have been used. The seal gives you confidence you are purchasing products subjected to scientific scrutiny and are healthy for your family. Scientific studies worldwide are used to formulate the best possible products. The latest developments in the industry are used and the manufacturing process is exact. The bottom line is Sisel products are safe.
The air in your home can contain more toxins than the air outside your door. Open your windows and let in the fresh air, use exhaust fans in you kitchen, bathroom and attic. This will help remove any stale air and your family will breathe easier.
Make sure your washing and cleaning products are non-toxic. Artificial fragrances, synthetic whiteners and bleaches can cause breathing problems and irritations for your family. Non-toxic products do not release toxic chemicals and are a healthier alternative.
Stay away from finishes and paints that emit toxins. This pollutes your home by emitting toxic gases for months or even years. Health problems and irritations often result from these toxins. Use care in your choice of stains, paint strippers, thinners and furniture. When paint must be sprayed use protective gear to limit your exposure to the particles and fumes.
Another concern is your linens and clothing. Many of these materials have been treated with chemicals to make them flame retardant. This can be toxic. Washing these fabrics numerous times will remove some of the pesticide treatments and flame retardants that have been used. This is even more important if any member of your family has sensitivity in their skin.
Another option is to soak these fabrics in a gallon of water combined with a cup of lemon juice for approximately two days. If anyone in your family still suffers a negative reaction, repeat the process. For extremely sensitive individuals this may have to be done several times.
Purchasing mattresses, linens, sheets and clothing made from natural materials is the best recourse. Unbleached cotton, hemp and wool do not contain the toxins found in synthetic materials as they are made with the use of chemicals.
Children's pajamas can be problematic for some families. They are often treated with flame retardant chemicals that can trigger allergies in children. A possible option is to purchase cotton pajamas with a snug fit. The causes of your kids' allergies and how well they are able to tolerate the exposure to toxins must be taken into consideration.
Furniture made from medium density fiberboard, particleboard, pressed wood or plywood usually contains formaldehyde. Fumes can be problematic for as long as five years. Furniture made of chrome, metal, glass or whole wood will avoid this problem and is a safer alternative for your family. Furniture more than five years old is generally safe provided it has not been reupholstered or refinished.
Care must also be taken with your furniture cushions and upholstery. Cotton or wool is preferable to synthetics. Cushions made from polyurethane plastic or foam, acrylic, polyvinyl chloride or polyester can be toxic and cause respiratory problems including irritations to the eyes and skin, coughing, bronchitis and severe lung problems.
Shelving, counter tops and cabinets can also emit toxins since they are often made with particleboard. This product usually contains formaldehyde although it is available formaldehyde free. Some excellent options are stainless steel cabinets or customized cabinets made from solid wood. Be certain the wood is treated with finishes that are not toxic.
Pay attention to your carpet. Toxic gasses emanating from carpeting causes a lot of problems with indoor air. Synthetic carpeting is sometimes made of plastic fibers derived from petroleum. The addition of an adhesive with a solvent base causes the emission of toxic gas that is believed to cause allergic reactions, headaches, dizziness and asthma. Carpeting made from natural fibers such as jute, cotton, sisal or wool use adhesives that are free of solvents and present a much healthier alternative.
Once flooring has been installed for five or more years the dangerous fumes are probably gone. Synthetic floors that are considerably older and contain deep scratches can still be emitting chemicals. The evaluation of a green builder may be required.
Polyvinyl chloride is used in most of the vinyl building materials. This is an extremely severe health risk and can cause liver dysfunction, indigestion, vision failure, deafness, skin disease, ulcers, chronic bronchitis, genetic changes, birth defects and cancer. Avoid polyurethane floor finishes because this is a respiratory toxin. The water-based polyurethane is preferable to the oil based. If your floor was installed more than five years ago the toxins have already been greatly reduced.
Linseed and other oils are the preferred finisher for your wood floors. If your flooring contains particleboard you can use porcelain, terra cotta, ceramic, cork or hardwood flooring to cover and seal the particleboard. Pressure treated wood is the best selection for wood flooring. Phenol resins emit fewer toxins than urea resins. If you do use polyurethane resin to finish your floors make certain your windows are left open for a minimum of a week and stay somewhere else if at all possible during that time. This is even more important if you have small children living in your home. Also consider bamboo flooring for a much healthier option. Insulation that uses plastic and formaldehyde should be avoided.
The labels on materials used for hobby and art projects should be read carefully. Many of these materials emit toxic gasses. Any art products that contain toxic materials have a warning label and will specify the appropriate age recommended for use. To protect your children read these labels thoroughly. Make certain you have excellent ventilation when you use these products.
Many of the shower curtains on the market are made from PVC. A curtain made from natural fibers such as organic cotton or hemp is much safer. You can even use your flat cotton sheets to make a nice curtain for your shower.
Polishes for metal products and furniture must be chosen carefully. Many of them contain petroleum or petroleum distillates and if used for a long period of time can cause cancer. Polishes made from natural products are available.
The plastic packaging used for foods can be unstable. Chemicals can get into your food when the plastic heats or cools. This can occur when the plastic touches your food as well. Microwaving plastic can increase the level of contamination. Metal or glass containers do not have these issues.
Pesticides present problems when used in your home. They will release toxic chemicals into the air you breathe. Deodorizers that have fragrances based on petroleum also release toxins every time they are used.
The top priority is ensuring your family remains healthy and happy. Taking the time to research the foods they are eating, the environment they live in and the air they are breathing can make an extraordinary difference. Sisal's line of safe products is designed to protect your family and they take great care with the products they manufacture. The absorption of chemicals goes throughout your bloodstream and can accumulate in your cells and organs. The best defense is to eliminate as many of these chemicals from the lives of your family as possible.